Tenants FAQs

Why paying my rent on time so important?

Paying your rent is very important and you should seek help as soon as you realise that there has been a change of circumstances. We always try to do our best to help our tenants in difficulties. If the rent is not paid, your account can be in arrears and you may end up losing your home. Karin Housing Association does not intend to evict you, but our legal procedure is to serve “Notice of Seeking Possession” when arrears are not paid.

How can I pay my rent?

We want to make it easy and conveint for you to pay your rent, so we offer a range of options including direct debit account setup and rent book. If you are entitled to housing benefit, please fill all necessary housing benefit forms as early as possible. If you want to know more about how to pay your rent please contact the office.

What should I do if I can’t pay rent when it is due?

If you are unable to pay your rent, please contact us at once and we will do our best to help you. We may be able to make arrangement with you to clear your arrears over time or we could refer you to a specailist agency for free financial advice.

Housing benefit pay my rent why do I need to read this?

You may choose to have your housing benefits payment paid directly to us. However, you still need to:

  • Provide the Housing Benefit Department with all information they need to assess your claim or situation.
  • Renew your claim when the housing benefit department requests.
  • Reply to letters or enquiries from the housing benefit department.
  • Tell the housing benefit department of any changes in your circumstances
  • Pay any part of the rent that is not paid by HB

What happen if I don’t pay my rent and I don’t contact you?

We will contact you and treat you fairly and sympathetically, but we expect you to take steps to clear your debt. If you do not contact us and your acount remains in arrears, we will take action againist you that could lead to eviction.

What happen if you apply to evict me?

What happens next is dependent upon the type of possession order warded by the court but in all cases we will write to the court to ask for a warrant possession.